San Bernardino is known for its cultural diversity, rich and fascinating history, and plenty of beautiful attractions. It is a wonderful place to work, play and live, offering diversity in amenities and services. With the city’s great and unique location, it serves as a destination for recreation, sports, professional services and history and cultural heritage. Did you know that San Bernardino is known as the “Youth Sports Destination”? Did you know that San Bernardino is home of the first McDonald’s restaurant and McDonald’s Museum? Read some more interesting facts about San Bernardino.
Image By The original uploader was Geographer at English Wikipedia (Transferred from en.wikipedia to Commons.) [CC BY 2.5 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5)], via Wikimedia Commons
San Bernardino Government and Demographic Fast Facts
- San Bernardino is in the Riverside- San Bernardino metro area which is sometimes known as the “Inland Empire”.
- The city is the county seat of San Bernardino County, CA.
- San Bernardino’s elevation is 1,049 ft above sea level.
- It is the seventeenth largest city in the state of California and hundredth largest city in the US.
- The ethnic composition of San Bernardino includes- White- 45.6%, African American- 15.0%, Native American- 1.3%, Asian-4.0%, Pacific Islander- 0.4%, from other races- 28.5%, and two or more races-5.1%.
San Bernardino History Fast Facts
- It is one of the oldest communities in California.
- In 1810, mission “San Bernardino” was set, and the missionaries with American Indians inhabited the land.
- Mexico granted Rancho San Bernardino to Lugo Brothers in 1842.
- In 1851, Mormon colony was established.
- In 1854, San Bernardino was officially incorporated as a city.
- The Southern Pacific Railroad started to construct a railroad through town in 1873.
- In 1883, California Southern Railroad reached San Bernardino.
- In 1905, the city’s first charted was passed.
San Bernardino Government and Economy Fast Facts
- San Bernardino follows a hybrid Mayor-Council-City Manager type of government.
- The city has a low cost of living, so often known as a bedroom community.
- The economy of the city is dominated by retail industries, service sector and Government.
- The city is served as an intermodal logistics hub because of its location near to the San Gorgonio passes and Cajon, and at the intersection of SR-210 freeways, Interstates 215 and 10.
San Bernardino Important and Interesting Facts
- San Bernardino is nicknamed as “SB”, “Gate City”, “San Berdoo”, “The Friendly City”, “Berdoo”, The Heart of Southern California”, and “City on the Move”.
- It is also referred as the “Youth Sports Destination”.
- California State University is in San Bernardino, in the northwestern area of the city.
- The city is home to the Inland Empire 66ers baseball team.
- San Bernardino is home of the first McDonald’s restaurant as well as the McDonald’s Museum.
- The local newspaper of San Bernardino is the “San Bernardino Sun”.
- “Westside Story Newspaper” is another local newspaper. It focuses more on the African American community.